Sunday, August 9, 2009

sunflowers



I had the good fortune to spend today with a dear lady I've known for several years. We've both been mistaken for the other many times, and decided it was finally time for a twin meet up. I arrived at her beautiful & charming downtown Hickory home to pick her up, and she treated me to coffee to begin our date. Coffee was followed by an antique mall, where time stood still as we wandered through shop after shop of trinkets and jewelry and coveted trunks and chests. I left with two dainty handkerchiefs and she with a letter holder (awaiting a letter I've promised to send) and a wonderfully gaudy gold locket. Holding true to our initial plan, we then turned to picture taking. She showed me an amazing field of sunflowers - it seemed to go on for miles and miles, and the photos we took make me happy. The whole day was filled with the kind of girl conversation I haven't had for quite some time, and have missed. I am looking forward to a remarkable friendship.

Over a year ago, I told a boy about my white house, wrap around porch dreams, and how I would so love to look out my window each day and see sunflowers going on and on. There was a time when I thought he'd be the boy to be there for that house, plant me sunflower fields and hang a swing from a tree in the yard. The two of us have drifted from those visions, certainly. But he called today and I told him of my adventures, and he said, "Sunflowers, just like you want." I'm hopeless.



No comments:

Post a Comment