Wednesday, July 10, 2013

New York City, vol. 2

Last month I took a whirlwind trip with my friend Brittany to NYC to see The Postal Service play a show I'd bought tickets for in January or February, right before they released North Carolina tour dates (just my luck!). Seeing a band that hasn't toured in a decade play in NYC is infinitely more cool than seeing them in Raleigh, though, right? I think so. After an 8 hour flight delay, we were in the city for just under 40 hours. Just enough time to see two friends who recently moved to Brooklyn, Mat & Kat, and see an amazing concert together. The Postal Service is one of those bands whose songs fill me with nostalgia and memories and I couldn't help smiling while I sang along with so many other fans who I think were feeling much the same way.
 The whole visit went by too fast. We had drinks at a cozy hole in the wall bar called Barrio Chino, where the menus were handwritten on cardboard. We passed by 30 Rockefeller Plaza and I was reminded of how much I miss Liz Lemon and 30Rock. We went to the Brooklyn Flea and I added a locket to my collection. We brunched at the most delicious chicken + waffles place, Sweet Chick, and it beat out Raleigh's Beasley's by miles, with their amazing 90s playlist & perfect drinks & of course, food. I managed to make a stop at Momofuku Milk Bar, which I was a bit obsessed with trying after reading about it in multiple posts on Meg Fee's beautiful blog + seeing it on her "where to eat in nyc" list
As she says, "When you’re out and about and in the mood to explore a neighborhood with a latte in hand, this is the place to go. Get their full-fat latte and a compost cookie." 
So I did. And miced latte was amazing, and even though I was sick & shouldn't have, I split a compost cookie with Kat and it was worth it. I even got myself a stamped frequent customer card, because it was cute & I wish I could in fact be a frequent customer. And then all together too soon, as it always seems, it was time to return to Raleigh.
Until next time, New York.


see photos from my last NYC trip here & here

No comments:

Post a Comment